[dns-operations] will germany therefore make dnssec illegal on their shores?

Ralf Weber dns at fl1ger.de
Fri Jun 19 10:21:04 UTC 2009

Moin!

On 19.06.2009, at 11:27, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 03:12:10AM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
>  wrote:
>>> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/06/16/1657255/A-Black-Day-For-Internet-Freedom-In-Germany
>>
>> 	doubtful that it will be illegal - just ineffective.
>> 	DE may become a haven for questionable DNS use, esp
>> 	with this offical sanction to hijack.
There are other countries doing this already. In Europe at least:
- Sweden
- Denmark
- Belgium
- Switzerland
- Italy
so while I signed the petition I still will have to do this :-(.

> This is exactly the question i will ask at the "DNSSEC Testbed for
> Germany"
> event 2nd of July in Frankfurt am Main.
> -> http://www.denic.de/en/domains/dnssec/dnssectestbed.html
Well technical I can answer this now, the way DNS is deployed currently
(Clients ask ISP resolver and don't validate) DNSSEC and this
blocking is compatible. But I think it really is a political debate
rather then a technical one. DNS blocking can be a good thing
(Conficker anyone), the problem with this law is that there is no
control of the list, and that there is a IMHO justified fear that
this technique will be used for other blockings (gambling, music).

So long
-Ralf
---
Ralf Weber (Internet Citizen)