[dns-operations] "Comcast Intercepts and Redirects Port 53 Traffic" (slashdot)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Wed Jun 10 02:15:01 UTC 2009

An anonymous reader writes

	"An interesting (and profane) writeup of one frustrated user's
	discovery that Comcast is actually intercepting DNS requests bound
	for non-Comcast DNS servers and redirecting them to their own
	servers. I had obviously heard of the DNS hijacking for nonexistent
	domains, but I had no idea they'd actually prevent people from
	directly contacting their own DNS servers."

If true, this is a pretty serious escalation in the Net Neutrality
wars. Someone using Comcast, please replicate the simple experiment spelled
out in the article and confirm or deny the truth of it. Also, it would be
useful if someone using Comcast ran the ICSI Netalyzr and posted the
resulting permalink in the comments.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/06/09/1731238/Comcast-Intercepts-and-Redirects-Port-53-Traffic