[dns-operations] Load balancing DNS queries across many machines

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Jul 28 18:25:00 UTC 2009

Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> Let me make an analogy with HTTPS.
>
> When HTTPS was first introduced, web servers didn't have native
> support for it, so a reasonable solution was to setup an HTTPS-to-HTTP
> proxy server that accepted HTTPS requests, handled the SSL protocol,
> and forwarded the encapsulated request to a plain HTTP server.

I disagree with your premise that this was ever a reasonable solution.
I also disagree with your premise below that the amount of work to
update code to handle encapsulated packets exceeds that of updating
http servers to understand https; both in terms of the quantity of
work but also in the sense that your example merely relocates units of
work, it doesn't replace or obviate them.

Now extend both of my disagreements about your https analogy to the
subject at hand.

Doug