[dns-operations] Load balancing DNS queries across many machines

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 21 07:35:31 UTC 2009

On 07/20/09 21:08, Joe Abley wrote:

> For others who don't have UCB's experience with build nameserver
> clusters using anycast, I have written that experience up several times
> based (partly or entirely) on work we did at ISC, and maybe some of
> those contain some useful pointers.
>
>   http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/2008-02/openpdfs/abley.pdf
>   http://ftp.isc.org/isc/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.txt
>   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4786.txt
>   http://nanog.org/meetings/nanog34/presentations/abley.nameservers.pdf

We have actually found Joe's documents to be very useful over the years,
especially the ISC tech notes and RFC 4786.  E.g., the articles pointed
me toward the use of clonable loopback interfaces in FreeBSD, which made
the signalling of service availability much easier than using lo0 for
loopback and service addresses.  The ;login article is new to me; I look
forward to reading it.  Thanks.

michael