[dns-operations] Getting rid of ISP's recursive DNS servers? (Was: Eircom "DNS Attacks" ?

Stefan Schmidt stefan.schmidt at freenet.ag
Mon Jul 20 09:03:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 10:46:02AM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > To your footnote, does anyone have supporting evidence that web
> > browsing is the biggest use of DNS?
>
> We have ample evidence of the opposite. For instance, almost half of
> the DNS requests to the .FR authoritative name servers have query type
> MX.

I shall gather that data again for i am not running qtype stats on our
recursives at the moment, but last time i checked it was more like 75%
IN A queries.
I can only assume that MX records are queried more frequently for
otherwise stale domains or DNS usage in general has changed very rapidly
over the last few months. It might also be that our broadband customers
are not all that worm/malware infested like others but that would really
surprise me. ;-)

	Stefan
--
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    Douglas Adams