[dns-operations] Getting rid of ISP's recursive DNS servers? (Was: Eircom "DNS Attacks" ?

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Mon Jul 20 03:06:15 UTC 2009

While it's true that the more users there are of a cache the larger the
cache will be and the better chance that there will be cache hit, I wonder
how statistically or operationally relevant that will be after n users.
Bill's article on Cisco Press discusses a DNS experiment that compares one
large to 10 smaller ones.  Yes, 10 caches will result in more root and TLD
server queries than one, but it doesn't seem that increasing the number of
caches is of operational concern for root operators in comparison to the
volume of bad/bogus queries.  So I don't think we can assume that the speed
value of a larger single cache is more important than the security value of
having many caches.

To your footnote, does anyone have supporting evidence that web browsing is
the biggest use of DNS?

Frank