[dns-operations] ncap Perl Bindings

Sidney Faber sfaber at cert.org
Sat Jul 18 14:17:48 UTC 2009

Ditto.

We're beating the ncap drum throughout .gov and .mil, preaching for its adoption and for more DNS research using it--studying DNS for more than just "this name resolves to this address."  Shortly you'll see some code contributions including a ncaptool module to search ncap files for hundreds or thousands of query names/domains at the same time, and a tool that lets you glob ncap files together as you pipe them into ncaptool.  More to follow (our interns have been busy this summer!).

Which makes me extremely disappointed to hear that ncap is going into maintenance mode.  Is there _any_ chance that the nmesg stuff can be rolled into the ncap suite, and essentially become another input pipe into ncaptool?  I _really_ want to see ncap grow into an open source pluggable dns analysis tool suite, I'd hate to have to branch off and build stuff on our own.

Whatever you decide, thanks for what's been done already, everyone's very excited about using the ncap suite.

Thanks!
sid