[dns-operations] ncap Perl Bindings

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Fri Jul 17 19:27:27 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:13:32 -0400
> From: Matt Larson <mlarson at verisign.com>
>
> > One of our engineers, Matt Sisk, has developed a set of perl bindings
> > for ncap data files.  We're hoping to leverage the speed of perl & the
> > its rich set of DNS parsing modules.
>
> This may be the first time I've ever heard the term "speed of Perl" used
> in a positive sense.  :-)

since i'm still making extensive use of perl in most of my technical work,
i can speak kindly about its performance.  for an i/o bound task like ncap,
with a libncap wrapper so that the C functions are wrapped by perl objects,
i'd expect an analysis function (like say a histogram of qname sizes) to be
no slower in perl than in raw C.

i remain tickled pink that somebody besides me thinks ncap is kewl, too.