[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

k claffy kc at caida.org
Sun Jul 12 02:27:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 04:37:12PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
  On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:01:12AM -0700, David Conrad wrote:

  > In any event, ICANN's board reacts to input.  I believe the board has
  > gotten advice that there was pretty much unanimity within the
  > technical community that wildcards at the top-level were a bad idea
  > and should not be allowed.  They acted to implement that advice.  If
  > there is contrary advice that should be provided to modify the board's
  > action, that would be good to know.

  	I've given my inputs to four board members - two of which
  	have some empathy for the plight of those now caught inthe
  	rather draconion edict of wildcard prohibition.

bill,

can i read some write-up somewhere of the plight(s)?
what is it that wildcards let these folk do that
they cannot accomplish any other way, at less cost
to the integrity of the protocol?

admit to being influenced by > 100 pages of peer-reviewed
technical text conclusive against tld wildcards as the
best solution to anything.