[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 16:24:39 UTC 2009

> And what happens when folks who run TLDs either do not have very good clues
> or, worse, have very good clues and are intentionally misusing the feature?

As Randy said, deal with it.

> Perhaps apropos:
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/08/pre-order-your-cm-domain-now-start-making-money-off-domain-typos-soon/

Some typos, errors and issues with the user interface can be handled at the
application level.

> (Note that ICANN does not have any mechanism of control over ccTLDs like
> .CM)

You can't and you shouldn't, ICANN was not created as a regulatory agency
of any sort (albeit some folks from IGF that would love to find a place where
they can "govern").

And as more ICANN gets to play a regulatory role the more it makes itself
liable for what it does or does not.

> I understand (and have some sympathy with) this view.  However, this
> discussion has been going on for more than 10 years now and ICANN has tried
> lots of different approaches "to privatize the management of the domain name
> system (DNS) in a manner that increases competition ..." (from the original
> USG MoU with ICANN). There are valid arguments on both sides.

Perhaps after 10 years is it time to give up ?

> I'd agree with this too, however I'd note that if IANA needs to scale, it
> can (after all, if new gTLDs are sufficiently successful to stress IANA,
> there will be funds to grow IANA).

How do you put a number to "sufficiently successful" ?

IANA needs to be ready before the fact regardless of the level of success
of the new gTLDs. ICANN already has the funds for it if they cut wasteful
spending on other budget lines.

> There are far better places to discuss ICANN's budget or particular aspects
> of http://www.icann.org/en/planning/ops-budget-framework-09.pdf.

I'm aware of the venues where under the ICANN's umbrella the discussions
take place. I remember when Karl had to sue ICANN to gain access to
financial information, even while being a director.

I spent a significant amount of time following remotely the discussions
during the last meeting (BTW kudos to the folks that put together the
Adobe Connect thingy).

Any CFO would love some of the financial metrics, such as revenue
per headcount that reached almost $1M/pe (FYE0608), that's a money
printing machine, but on the other hand you have travel at $128K/pe or
supplies at $4K/pe that's an awful number of pencils and notepads for
each employee.

But I agree this is not the forum for this subject, just trying to share
my thoughts and feelings.

I remember now an old political sciences professor that long time ago
taught me about some common but bad practices that I later understood
when I got involved with the public administration (not USG) and
international organizations.

He once told me "Do you know how do you hide a big pile of manure ? ..."

"You just create a bigger one"

Cheers
Jorge