[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 03:34:16 UTC 2009

>> i think we have a good demonstration that no new gtlds are actually
>> needed.
>
> Others would appear to have a different opinion.
>
>> i really appreciate technical analysis and advice from anyone, even
>> icann.  i do not appreciate edicts from marinara del roi.
>
> As I pointed out, ICANN's actions were actually based on technical input
> (including input from folks on this list).

With all due respect, I strongly disagree with your statement about what
kind of input ICANN gets.

I'm sure they receive *some* technical input, but the whole gTLD theme
is being mostly driven by people/companies looking to make a quick
buck selling their names and adding more junk on the name space.

Yes they have a couple of Joe the Plumbers running their servers, and
others just outsource the whole thing to a third party.

I'd be very interested to see what the group working on the Root Zone
Scaling study comes out with. I've been trying to find a copy of the
presentation given at Sydney (the recorded video looks broken, at
least the transcript seems to be complete), perhaps Bill has a copy
to share.

> If new gTLDs are going to occur and assuming ICANN does not have a mechanism
> to winnow the "lawyers, slime, sharks, and sheep" from the good guys, it
> would seem to me that based on that technical input, disallowing wildcards
> would be appropriate.

The problem are not the wildcards, it is the "lawyers, slime, sharks,
and sheep",
which already infested ICANN.

Don't be foolish, IANA and the root zone folks do the job, ICANN collects
the money, and a *ton* of it, and it seems that for several years a new
eco-system was developing to *spend* the money. I've a lot of respect
for people at the ICANN board, I know many of them in person and since
the netsaurus days, but many constituencies of ICANN and some
satellite organizations/people providing services to it found the perfect
way to keep "milking the cow".

Some folks are more worried about if they will get paid the travel expenses
for the next meeting than really produce anything useful, others
can't see beyond the "USG wants to keep controlling the internet" theme
or why I can't not write .cn in Chinese, and many claim to be representing
the users when they are not.

IMHO, somebody needs to step in there and start doing some cleanup
and start kicking butts and put things back on track, as Randy says
the "koolaid" is getting stronger each day and seems that besides
any technical input, many lost their common sense.

My .02