[dns-operations] When TLDs have apex A records

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jul 6 02:42:52 UTC 2009

>> i think we have a good demonstration that no new gtlds are actually
>> needed.
> Others would appear to have a different opinion.

they just have religion?

who bears costs:
  o root operators have more data to sign, serve, ...
  o trademark holders now have more places to pay
  o users have less cachability
who benefits:
  o icann gets more money
  o some domainers get more money

oh goodie.

>> i really appreciate technical analysis and advice from anyone, even
>> icann.  i do not appreciate edicts from marinara del roi.
> As I pointed out, ICANN's actions were actually based on technical
> input (including input from folks on this list).

i appreciate the technical input.  i do not appreciate the edicts from
on high.

> If new gTLDs are going to occur and assuming ICANN does not have a
> mechanism to winnow the "lawyers, slime, sharks, and sheep" from the
> good guys, it would seem to me that based on that technical input,
> disallowing wildcards would be appropriate.

drc, imiho, icann are the "lawyers, slime, sharks, and sheep!"  we all
just get to pay for it.

randy