[dns-operations] Compiling ncap on Debian/Linux (Was: "NS .", the attack of the month?

Robert Edmonds edmonds at isc.org
Thu Jan 29 19:28:05 UTC 2009

Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk wrote:
> > Does not work for me yet (note the -shared despite --disable-shared in
> > ncap's configure):
>
> The -shared is because mod_test.so is a shared module that is loaded at
> run-time via dlopen(), regardless of whether the main binary is statically
> or dynamically linked.

mod_test.so is just that, a test module (for use with ncaptool -D).  it
isn't required for normal operation and only exists to demonstrate the
module API.

the root cause of these problems is that there's no good way to get
ns_initparse() and friends on debian without downloading an entire BIND
tarball and building just the libbind bits that are necessary.

with the impending release of ISC libbind i'll probably remove the
libresolv.a hack and change the build instructions to:

    0) install your system's libpcap -dev package
    1) build and install ISC libbind
    2) build and install ncap

(and, btw, the debian libbind-dev package doesn't provide the needed
ns_* functions either, as the debian bind9 package is built without
--enable-libbind.  moot now that post-9.5 releases of BIND have removed
libbind and lenny is frozen.)

--
Robert Edmonds
edmonds at isc.org