[dns-operations] DDoS attack data collection

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Wed Jan 28 08:49:51 UTC 2009

Duane Wessels <wessels at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>
> >> the shell script found on our web page:  https://www.dns-oarc.net/node/171
> >
> > I am running that script now, however i'd like to ask if you rely on the
> > FROM=`hostname` value in any way, because without a --fqdn its just that
> > on my machines.
>
> Ah, I wasn't aware that some systems (linux only?) have the --fqdn
> option.

FreeBSD's hostname(1) prints name of current host system, including
domain name.  Hostname(1) on Linux systems which is a part of net-tools
package needs --fqdn option to do the same.  I propose to add this to
the code on DNS-OARC.

if [ `uname` = Linux ]; then
	FROM=`hostname --fqdn`
else
	FROM=`hostname`
fi

>From what I know only Linux stray from the standard hostname(1), so
*BSD, Solaris, HP-UX can be included in one statement.

--Andy