[dns-operations] "NS .", the attack of the month?

Skywing Skywing at valhallalegends.com
Sat Jan 24 23:25:25 UTC 2009

It is better than the often default configuration alternative in terms of the amount of traffic that is generated.  At the least, if everyone did this, the amplification component of this attack would seem to be greatly reduced and it would become roughly as attractive to just spoof traffic straight to the target.

A better question is whether there's any way to make BIND or <other nameserver software of choice> just drop a query instead of refusing it.  iptables/firewall hacks like proposed earlier seem just like that to me - a hack, and one that seems to me might be easily evadable by doing things like including multiple questions or the like.  That's not to say that they might not effectively mitigation this iteration of this attack, but rather that it's not an arms race sort of scenario that we really want to run into with the "bad guys" when we're dealing with just static pattern matching packet filters.

Obviously, in normal circumstances, it's cheaper to send a failure response back, as that would get an ostensibly legitimate client to skip trying to resend requests until it gives up.  However, this isn't the universal advantage that it used to be in today's DoS-ridden internet.

- S

--------