[dns-operations] .org server lost one of my domains

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Sat Feb 21 18:01:59 UTC 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 9:51, Jess Kitchen wrote:

Hi Jess,

> Is this not closer to home?
>
>> dig +trace perl.org. @ns2.develooper.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> +trace perl.org. @ns2.develooper.com

I think that's just powerdns not returning whatever dig likes to see
for the trace command.  +notrace will give ordinary results.

It looks like DirectI / Resellerclub decided to turn off the domain.
Very clever.  Anyone have a contact there who'd be reading emails
before Monday morning?

It's only been around for 14 years, so whatever abuse complaint they
got surely was too urgent to talk to us first[1].   Nice touch to do
it on a Saturday, too.    Grrh.

  - ask

[1] We have a couple hundred technical mailing lists sending out
millions of mails a month.   Millions of mails + subscribers with
automatic abuse scripts =