[dns-operations] Database backed DNS Management Solutions

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 4 11:31:13 UTC 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 2:41 AM, Shane Kerr wrote:
> There do not appear to be too many options in this space. We could
> basically choose from tinydns, BIND-DLZ, and PowerDNS.

Because of personal history[1], I'll throw in Nominum's ANS.  Not free
or open source, but I believe it has all of:

>      * IXFR
>      * TSIG
>      * EDNS0
>
> It was also missing such niceties as slave support for non-standard
> ports, also-notify, ID.SERVER, but there are (now) patches for these.
> Your personal favorite BIND feature is probably also not there,
> whatever
> that happens to be.
>
> DNSSEC is totally missing, if you care about such things.

(Not sure if ANS supports NSEC3 as yet).  It's fast too (or it was,
when I used it and would be surprised if it slowed down over the years).

Not endorsing (haven't used it in over 3 years now), just adding to
the mix.

Regards,
-drc

[1] Full disclosure: I was 'somewhat' involved in founding Nominum and
was their CTO until Nov. 2005