[dns-operations] Odd behavior of the day

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Tue Dec 15 23:07:47 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

As I often do I ran into some odd behavior today.  I thought I'd
share.  For entertainment purposes or as part of your daily diversion as
appropriate.

  dig @95.84.109.114 +short .
  <some_IPv4_addr_but_keep_reading>

  dig @95.84.109.114 +short www.isc.org
  149.20.64.42

  dig @95.84.109.114 +short .
  149.20.64.42

It seems if you ask for the '.' A RR the answer you get a recent answer
from another query.

A few nearby addrs seem to behave the same.  Not sure if they're all
the same host or not.  Looks like they probably are or share the same
cache (which apparently marks recent answers with a fixed ttl of 10000
if you ask for the name again).

Neat trick (or bug :-).

John