[dns-operations] No public calendar for the root signing deployment

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Tue Dec 15 08:39:51 UTC 2009

* Mark Andrews:

> Note: The host OS is NOT RFC compliant and should be upgraded.
>
> RFC 1191: 6.1. Layering

> 		 We do not want the IP layer to simply set the DF bit
>    in every packet, since it is possible that a packetization layer,
>    perhaps a UDP application outside the kernel, is unable to change its
>    datagram size.  Protocols involving intentional fragmentation, while
>    inelegant, are sometimes successful (NFS being the primary example),
>    and we do not want to break such protocols.

The kernel can run path MTU discovery on its own and fragment to the
path MTU instead of the link MTU.  I think this wasn't considered when
RFC 1191 was written.

It is quite debatable whether it is worth the effort, though.  It
might reduce the number of fragments.  But in most cases, this can be
achieved quite as well if you produce equal-sized fragments instead of
using a greedy algorithm, or leaving a bit of room to avoid secondary
fragmentation.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99