[dns-operations] What are the data?

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Dec 9 20:11:05 UTC 2009

* Patrick W. Gilmore:

> Data exists.  Maybe even someone here is using a CDN and can provide
> data.  Then we can make an informed decision.  Until then, posturing
> and name calling is ... silly. :)

Debian uses DNS tricks to distribute mirror load.  It proved to be
necessary because we can't be too picky about mirror offers, and the
network operators tend to be not very upfront about choke points.  A
solution based on redirects would likely confuse unofficial mirrors.
(Our own client doesn't support them, but that could be fixed.)