[dns-operations] What are the data? [was: After Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Wave... Google DNS]

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Dec 8 19:18:24 UTC 2009

On Dec 8, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 01:20:55PM +0000,
> Niall O'Reilly <Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie> wrote
> a message of 22 lines which said:
>
>> 	All this shows is that my ISP can still offer me a better
>> 	service than both Google's new thingy and my old and
>> 	over-committed domestic boxen, for a particular query
>> 	which returns NXDOMAIN.
>
> Another (very good) tool to perform similar studies:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Useful tool for finding which NSes are fast.  Although I have questions about pre-cached answers.  (I.e. It asks OpenDNS about stuff for all users if they check the box, but the local NS might have to go to authorities.)

But it does not say anything about mapping end users to web servers for GSLB services.

--
TTFN,
patrick