[dns-operations] DNS pre-resolution

Matthew Pounsett mpounsett at ca.afilias.info
Sun Dec 6 17:52:11 UTC 2009

I'm going to have to think on most of this.  One bit caught my eye as
being something I can comment on immediately, though.

On 05-Dec-2009, at 17:21, David Dagon wrote:

>     I don't know if the .co authorities have seen a measurable
>     increase in traffic, with only ~2% of the browsers running
>     Chrome.  It may be hard to measure against the natural growth of
>     Internet traffic in general.  But exponential growth (a plateau
>     that cannot otherwise be explained in comparison to zone size
>     deltas) would be one thing to look for.

In my experience, query traffic growth cannot be directly related to
zone size.  If memory serves, the first org I heard of attempting to
make a correlation was DENIC.  I made a couple of attempts while at
CIRA and also came up with nothing.  I recall hearing of other failed
attempts to make a correlation, but don't recall the TLDs involved..
someone may want to speak up.

The problem, as I see it, is that normal growth in usage of existing
delegations so overwhelms query growth from new delegations that it
becomes impossible to separate out the new delegation component.  I
think to do so would require long term query analysis by QNAME, which
is infeasible for most TLDs, and still might not produce a useful
result.  Perhaps someone with a better statistics background than mine
can come up with a better way to make a correlation.

Query traffic growth at the TLD does follow a very predictable curve,
though (actually, this is more evidence to my mind against a
correlation with registrations -- registrations don't always follow a
predictable curve).   And that traffic curve can be very obviously
affected by certain events on the 'net.  Small events, or slowly
changing qualities of the 'net, can be difficult to detect; so, the
rollout of Chrome may be lost in the noise.  But, larger or more
sudden events can have a very clear result (the McColo shutdown had a
dramatic effect on .ca traffic, for example).  While the Chrome
rollout might not be detectable, the sudden appearance of a pre-
resolving version of IE in Windows Update would be quite obvious.

Matt