[dns-operations] DNS pre-resolution

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Dec 5 13:10:00 UTC 2009

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Gadi Evron <ge at linuxbox.org> wrote:
> > I wonder what you guys think of this concept?
> > http://www.dalkescientific.com/writings/diary/archive/2009/12/04/dns_preresolution.html
>
> Andrew is assuming that chrome will lookup the dns name for every single URL on
> a page, I believe Roskind on the video said it was not as simple as
> that, also the
> response could be cached somewhere and the query never hit his servers.
>
> After seeing the video I was playing a little bit (I use chrome as my
> default browser) looking
> at the query log of my local bind caching server and I can see on the
> log how my desktop machine
> sends the queries for some names but not all, even if I hover over some URLs.

There was also a time when people made an argument that the additional
HTTP traffic for "a single advertising banner" etc were not that major.
Now there are lots of sites you can visit that have tons of advertising
on them.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but if Chrome changes the game and the perception
becomes that speculative preresolution is a good thing, then we're
looking at scenarios in the future where client software will be
aggressively doing this.  I don't really care what Chrome is doing
today.  I can see this being a bad thing in the future.

It'll be great fun when Interweb Exploder decides to speculatively
resolve every domain name in your browser history, on the theory that
since you've gone there before, you might go there again.  Hey, look,
I just figured out a great way to speed up the web...  I'm off to the
USPTO...

... JG