[dns-operations] After Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Wave... Google DNS

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Dec 5 00:41:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-04 at 14:43 -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

> [rtts to 8.8.8.8 snipped]
>
> I have to wonder if the issue with rtts to the Google DNS servers is more a
> bootstrap thing.  Afterall, they do have data centers world wide right?
> Wouldn't it make sense to start the deployment in one place, wring it out a bit,
> and then spread it out?

It would make sense, but we know that's not how it works.

> Also, doesn't all of this presume that the queries being sent are serial, rather
> than parallel?  In at least a couple of situations, these bits send a bunch of
> queries all at once right?
>
> rick jones

IIRC they have two main data centres, one in US and one in EU somewhere,
I know they are 'looking at' the possibilities of Australia,  and likley
other countries as well, there were some big wigs here in Melbourne
within the past few months, but they have no DC here, what they have
here at present is a small co-located presence like in most other
places, I mean google.com.au in still in California,  Gmail might be
slightly different here though or they were at least trialling
something, but I think thats because they are trying to sucker in
Universities to use them for mail, one large Uni here has (mail still US
based) and I know some there say they have regretted that move.
Anyway getting OT I think now :)