[dns-operations] After Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Wave... Google DNS

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Fri Dec 4 10:22:05 UTC 2009

* Phil Pennock wrote:
> FAQ:
>   http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq.html

The DDoS considerations looks strange to me:

 - From the Chrome documentation I expect about 200 queries on startup
   due to DNS prefetching for favorites and startup sites.

 - The main argument for NXDOMAIN rewriting at ISP level is: "Do you
   want to spend the money to Google or to us?" Google DNS aims to the
   customers of such ISPs. In this case Google plays the "good guy" card.

 - Google has to expect a lot of customers behind NAT. So they had to set
   the minimum rate limit to about 1000 queries per second and IP.

 - For a DDoS DNS amplification the attacker aims to overload the network,
   not an host. So a whole /20 is usable to attack the uplink. This results
   in about 4 mio queries per second.

 - Let's assume a large response of 1000 bytes. This results in about 30 Gbps
   attack volume with is within the rate limit ...

 - Thanks to anycasting inside the Google network, the servers will not notice
   such high query rates, the rate limit is enforces per anycast node.