[dns-operations] After Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Wave... Google DNS

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Dec 4 00:19:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 18:37 -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2009-12-03, at 18:14, Noel Butler wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 13:45 -0600, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> >> No harm Bob, thanks for your private response.

> >> As I mentioned in NANOG-L, if a substantial number of folks use their
> >> resolvers that will be a lot of juicy statistics that can be monetized in
> >> some way and I'm sure google has the brain power to find the way.
> >>

> > fight fire with fire,  anycast their IP's to your own DNS resolvers :)
>
> I'm not sure exactly what fire you're trying to fight, there.
>
> What next, null-route Yahoo! because you don't want your users checking their mail there? Intercept and modify coffeegeek.com traffic because you don't appreciate the low rating they gave your favourite Gaggia?

huge difference, there's no comparison. google do nothing for nothing,
there will be an agenda, what could that be, well they are after all a
search engine who love to gather stats on everybody and everything, for
their own purposes, not because they are good netizens.

Using my home DSL, a DNS lookup  from the U.S takes  190-216ms, locally,
it takes 9-11ms, to what get the same thing, minus stats collected on
you, minus googles decided search redirection it will likely give you
for web browsing.

I can do without the irritation of any of my users  blaming us for sites
taking forever to start to load, in every case I've come across  at any
time in this past decade, its always been because  X is using Y's  DNS.