[dns-operations] After Google Mail, Google Docs, Google Wave... Google DNS

Phil Pennock dnsop+phil at spodhuis.org
Thu Dec 3 19:47:59 UTC 2009

On 2009-12-03 at 11:21 -0800, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Bob Paolucci wrote:
> > For now....
> > I'm sure redirect will come soon enough...
> >

> At the very least I'm certain they are gathering statistics about what
> you're looking at.

No, nothing is tied back to your Google account, nothing is correlated
in that way and logs with IP addresses are deleted quickly.

There is a privacy policy.  It's clear.  It explains what is done and
why, what is kept and for how long.  Per the policy, the only data that
is kept is data with clear operational benefit, source information
stripped down to ASN and geolocation.

There is also a FAQ, which covers what Randy has already noted.
NXDOMAIN is not interfered with.

Intro:
  http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/intro.html
FAQ:
  http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/faq.html
Privacy:
  http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/privacy.html

There are more docs linked from those.  The FAQ has some short and
sweet "No" answers to some privacy questions too.

NB: writing in a personal capacity, not involved in the Google DNS
    project except in having provided some beta feedback; opinions my
    own, yada yada.

-Phil