[dns-operations] Google's name servers compressing names in SRV records

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 13 20:32:54 UTC 2009

On Aug 13 2009, Matthew Dempsky wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Peter Koch<pk at denic.de> wrote:
>> So the server you mentioned didn't follow the spec by the letter, but
>> resolvers better not be SRV agnostic.
>
>I dislike the position that because some software followed a backwards
>incompatible, experimental RFC, that standards compliant software
>should be changed to allow that behavior.

Well, it's only a SHOULD, not a MUST. If your dislike is sufficient, you
can decide to sabotage SRV records with compressed rdata, and sell that
position to like-minded persons, all for the ultimate good of the Internet.

More to the point, does anyone know what software the ns*.google.com
servers are using, that does this?

[It's a bit tendentious to describe RFC 2052 as "backwards incompatible"
when the whole business of handling unknown RR types was in the state of
confusion that it then was. That was 7 years before RFC 3597.]

--
Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing Service,
Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,