[dns-operations] ICANN study on domain front-running.

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Thu Aug 13 13:29:28 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 01:42:16PM -0700, SM wrote:

> The summary of the report says that there is no evidence of
> front-running. The second paragraph under the Test Results section
> mentions that the methology cannot prove that front-running is not
> occurring.

Indeed, I'd expect front-running domains _not_ to be in the DNS,
because they're probably only going to be registered for less than the
duration of the create grace period.  I regard this report as actually
harmful: it looks like a result, but it isn't one, and therefore the
question remains open without the previous incentive to fund an effort
to answer the question.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.