[dns-operations] Unplanned DLV zone outage on 2009-Apr-06

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 15 04:51:24 UTC 2009

On 04/14/09 17:33, Eric Osterweil wrote:

> First: this whole discussion is all ignoring the implications of using a
> 3rd party for inline validation (privacy, etc.) vs. constructing local
> TA lists.  For the rest of this discussion please recall that I think
> resolvers should cull their own TA lists and manage them locally, but
> inline mechanisms exists and some prefer to use them, so we have the
> following discussion.

Are you arguing that all "inline" (i.e. DLV?) mechanisms are the same
from a perspective of trust?

> Given that edu cannot delegate to you (as com cannot delegate to
> foo.com), how do you plan to declare your intent to be secure?  There
> isn't (at present) any way to declare this to everyone (modulo an
> unsigned parent).  I know there are some who like to subscribe to the
> idea that there is one TA registry in the sky that we all should trust,
> but not everyone _has_ to believe this or use them.  That doesn't make
> anyone bad in any way, but you have to realize that not everyone has to
> play by one group's rules.  By contrast, is there any reason that you
> should necessarily _not_ be able to be trusted by someone who simply
> wants to use a different TA registry?  Are you now going to run to all
> of the would-be registries (assuming you could even know who they all
> are) and get your keys in them and maintain their correctness, or are
> resolvers just out of luck if they don't agree with/know to use your TA
> registry of choice?  This seems a little difficult to imagine at any
> scale, no?
>
> None the less, people who want to benefit from deploying DNSSEC below an
> unsigned parent should not have to get one group's blessing, etc.

I am not talking about one group's rules (although ultimately, we _will_
need to play by our parents' rules).  I am talking about out-of-band
verification of trust (by *some* rules, and rules that are documented)
versus in-band scraping of keys (i.e. zero trust, zero rules).

>> Consider another example: Someone spoofs a zone in such a way that all
>> of your pollers get the same key information and SecSpider regards
>> that information as valid.
>
> Before we jump here... How?  This is within the realm of possibility,
> but can you tell me how likely you consider this?  I also consider it
> possible for a TA registry to have one of its servers get pwnd and then
> we could have an adversary affect all of the clients of that server too,
> no?  Seriously, what degree of realness are you supposing here?  I
> mentioned in my first email the lengths we go to.

Again, this is the out-of-band versus in-band distinction.  Out-of-band
is feasible and the trust gains are significant.

>> Now there is a trusted fake zone with bogus information that users of
>> SecSpider regard as "secure."  Unlikely scenario, but it seems that it
>> is a much better idea to have key management done out-of-band from the
>> DNS protocol itself.
>
> If I pop a TA operator's box and insert a key we have the same
> situation, right?  Also unlikely, but possible, yes?

You'd have to compromise the box, insert the key, *and* spoof the zone.
  In your model I only have to spoof the zone.

A better model would be one that provides continual polling *and*
out-of-band verification.

>> I can see where SecSpider would have use in testing and research, but
>> I assume you're not advocating it for production use.
>
> Right now, there are thousands of zones (that we know of) that have
> deployed DNSSEC and who are not able to benefit from it because their
> keys are not part of a single group's verification process.  The idea
> that I put data in public and then expect it to be ignored may seem fair
> from one perspective but maybe not the best practice because of others'
> perspectives (resolvers use what you put in your public zone).  There is
> no protocol semantic for the root of an island to signal to resolvers
> that it wants (or doesn't want) its keys to be used.

And I am suggesting that by assuming that the a zone owner always wants
the keys to be used, you are making that problem worse, not better.

> The biggest problem I see here is that trust really isn't black and
> white.  Given you _know_ something about a key (like it's _your own_
> key), you may trust it.  For another key, given no other information
> aside from its global consistency, you may feel safe using it.  If you
> see a key in a DLV do you "trust" that as much as your own KSK?  What if
> they disagree?  No matter what, trust is not a boolean.  SecSpider
> provides you information about keys that you likely would not have heard
> of otherwise *period*.  In the absence of _any_ other information, this
> is meant to help resolvers make informed decisions.  Yes, I think this
> can be very helpful in production and I think it highlights some needs
> of the protocol.

The fact that we cannot create a perfectly antiseptic environment does
not mean that we perform surgery in a sewer. I know that I cannot have
perfect trust, so I decide what level of trust (>0) I am willing to
accept based on my evaluation of the various risks (including my own
ability to do out-of-band verification and key management).  I could
decide to trust ISC, or IANA, or some other TAR, or some other DLV.
Look, I like SecSpider, and I think it performs an important service.  I
have used it as another (but not the only) check to make sure I have
correct keys in my trust repository.  But I do not believe that
SecSpider should be proffered as an alternative to trust-anchor
repositories and DLVs that do out-of-band verification of keys, and I am
very concerned that that's what you're doing.

michael