[dns-operations] Unplanned DLV zone outage on 2009-Apr-06

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Apr 7 23:15:16 UTC 2009

At 21:52 +0000 4/7/09, Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:

>dnssec.iks-jena.de:
>  - imports entries by crawling and user input

This makes me uncomfortable.

As an engineer with an interest in seeing DNSSEC deployed, I like
seeing the DLVs or TARs do their thing, make mistakes, fix and learn
from them.  Especially because I am not yet in production.

As someone in a registry that is being pressured by some to deploy
DNSSEC, I don't like the high risk of failure DLVs are presenting me.
The image of a thundering herd of buffalo headed for me, and me on
the rim of a deep canyon comes to mind.

I would ask that any service (and to me DLV == TAR, TAR == iTAR, iTAR
== DLV) that obtains keys in any manner other than explicit
provisioning (e.g., scraping, crawling) be transparent to their
relying parties regarding how they obtained the keys.  Check that -
no matter how the keys are obtained, be transparent to their relying
parties.  I'm not going to get into liability FUD, the reality is, I
don't want to harm the image of my TLD nor inundate my help desk with
support calls.

If I take all of the precautions I can, including vetting services
that collect SEPs, and still there is an operational issue that
causes my product management to call for the suspension of DNSSEC, I
doubt I could make the case to resume deployment.  (I mean, when can
I be certain that the root cause has been adequately addressed?)
These services present downsides to deployment.

I don't mean to be negative about all these services.  I realize
there are lots of good heuristics going into making sure the
collections are beneficial.  But, from an operations point of view,
where service level agreement misses are tangible hits and
operational reputation is at stake, the topic is a serious matter.