[dns-operations] Unplanned DLV zone outage on 2009-Apr-06

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Apr 6 23:12:52 UTC 2009

>>> We plan to continue to test and improve our internal procedures,
>>> monitoring and hardware platform over the next two weeks, at which
>>> point the service will be announced as being in Full Production.
>> I'm curious: what does "being in Full Production" mean?
> hasn't the word gotten down to you yet?  isc is taking over icann, and
> with it, the iana.

a friend has whacked me that i am being too terse and subtle again.

this is the issue i brought up in the san jose long ago meeting when
joao first announced dlv.  what is the trust model?  this has never been
answered in a satisfatory fashion.

though i understand that isc means well with dlv, and is trying to paste
over a politcal farce with a technical patch, the dlv trust model is
essentially broken.  it moves signed root trust from the iana to isc,
and, aside from the fact that this very change is serious breakage,
isc's trust process and policies are unclear.

randy