[dns-operations] Google Chrome Pre-Caching

Chris Roosenraad chris.roosenraad at twcable.com
Wed Sep 3 21:41:30 UTC 2008

Duane,

On 9/3/08 5:30 PM, "Duane Wessels" <wessels at dns-oarc.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Chris Roosenraad wrote:
>
>> www.cn
>> www.cnn.co
>> www.cnn.com
>>
>> Similar behavior is seen for other requests (www.news.com, www.espn.com,
>> www.timewarner.com, etc).
>
> Oh my.

I had another word in mind, but "my" will do.

www.ti
www.timewarner.co

> Or does it appear to have some logic about the (current) set of valid TLDs?

Now, doing something with a longer TLD gets more queries.

www.mobile.com results in:

www.mo
www.mobi
www.mobile.co
www.mobile.com

So it appears to understand the concept of a TLD...but as more and more TLDs
are released, I'm sure this will grow.  No doubt Google integrated some way
to get a list of valid TLDs.  For instance, the following queries were also
made by the browser:

clients1.google.com
static.cache.l.google.com
safebrowsing.clients.google.com
www.google.com

Exactly what it is doing with those sites once looked up is left as an
exercise for the reader...

--
Chris R. Roosenraad
Principal Engineer
chris.roosenraad at twcable.com

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.