[dns-operations] Google Chrome Pre-Caching

Chris Roosenraad chris.roosenraad at twcable.com
Wed Sep 3 20:59:31 UTC 2008

All,

For anyone who runs a customer facing DNS system/farm.  The new Google web
browser does some very aggressive DNS pre-caching (assuming you leave that
option on, which is on by default).

Specifically, if you go to the "omnibar" (their new name for the location
toolbar) and start typing "www.cnn.com" it will do 3 queries.

www.cn
www.cnn.co
www.cnn.com

Similar behavior is seen for other requests (www.news.com, www.espn.com,
www.timewarner.com, etc).

I sincerely doubt there is much we can do about this...but if chrome usage
takes off, we can expect a lot more of these garbage types of lookups.

--
Chris R. Roosenraad
Principal Engineer
chris.roosenraad at twcable.com

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.