[dns-operations] Why post this here?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Oct 30 17:52:00 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:41:55AM -0400,
 Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz> wrote
 a message of 51 lines which said:

> I.e., these messages are not helpful and harm the community spirit
> of the Internet.

I disagree. It is very useful to have actual information about what's
found in the wild (funny bugs, strange misconfigurations, puzzling
cases, etc). A good thing about the DNS is that you can look at a lot
of things from the outside. Case studies like that help a lot (and,
indeed, Mark Andrews did a good analysis of it.)

> When a problem like this is seen, try contacting the company, not a
> court of public opinion.  You have the ability to contact them.

My experience is that contacting companies is a slow, time-consuming
and very frustrating process. At most, a nice message from a poor
level-0 operator, completely clueless. At worst, insults and threats
of legal actions. In between, the most common case, complete
silence. A simple "thank you, just fixed the bug" is extremely rare.

At least, when you write on dns-ops, people notice.