[dns-operations] good one was Re: DNSSEC impact ...

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed May 28 23:50:36 UTC 2008

Mark,

This is a fairly pointless course of discussion.  You are way beyond 3
standard deviations from the mean in terms of ability to even
understand what the problem is.  I'd estimate somewhere close to 99%
of folks on the Internet have no idea even what the DNS _is_, much
less how to debug a DNS delegation, much less why DNSSEC validation
failed.

A typical end user will get a web page that gives them a bunch of
options they almost certainly won't read or they'll get an
indecipherable (to them) e-mail bounce notification or their IM client
will complain in gibberish (to them). All they will know is that they
can't get their pr0n from the intertubes when they were able to get to
it yesterday and they "didn't change anything, dammit i hate these
stupid computers!".

Their reaction will be to call "technical support", be it their ISP
call center, their son, grandson, geeky friend, etc.  The folks
receiving those calls might tolerate them for a while, explaining in
patient detail what possibly could have gone wrong, exploring a few
options to fix it, but in the end, they'll tell their client /
parent / grandparent / friend "turn the damn thing off" to protect
their own bottom line / sanity.

I suspect folks at ISP help desks would have trouble debugging even a
DNS delegation mistake. Suggesting folks use "dig" and "date" to
figure out why they can't get to www.people.com is just being silly
(does MS Windows even have dig?).

Regards,
-drc