[dns-operations] security-aware stub resolver

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri May 23 02:17:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:48:46PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
> Joe,
>
> On May 22, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
> > I had assumed that the "DNSSEC deployed" world would involve stub
> > resolvers setting RD=1 and DO=1, and validators setting DO=1, and
> > authority-only servers serving up security information. You seem to be
> > saying that the final utopia in your mind looks different.
>
> I personally believe the correct answer here is that stub resolvers go
> away, being replaced with validating caching resolvers.  Most of the
> historical rationale that drove stub resolvers, namely client-side CPU
> and memory limitations have long since been resolved (pun intended).
> Bandwidth could be a consideration, although multi-layer caching/
> forwarding architectures could address this.
>
> As we've seen repeatedly, unless you run your own caching server, you
> can't really trust the response.  Particularly if you rely on your
> ISP...
>
> Regards,
> -drc

	here, we agree.  there is a not-so subtle difference btwn
	a resoultion and validation heirarchy.  as paul pointed out,
	the reason IEEE gave us 10G local lans was to hold the validation
	traffic for those resolvers who used a third-party validator.

	the ephemeral, system-call "stub" resolver will be augmented
	by something that has state and a cache.  i don;t think the
	legacy stub resovler will disappear, i suspect it will move
	to embedded devices which have cpu/memory/power constraints
	(think active RFID tags).

	the choices are still, UNBOUND and BIND

--bill