[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed May 21 07:53:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 09:37:19PM -0700,
 David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote
 a message of 47 lines which said:

> http://blog.icann.org/?p=309

As I read it, it says "Bill Manning did something wrong".

Now, this raises an interesting side issue: the very same Bill Manning
operates a root name server, B. Which means that, in one way, ICANN
trusts him, while saying publically everywhere that he screwed up.

What will happen should a root name server operator start to
misbehave? What is the process to remove a misbehaving root name
server operator or even simply to replace a root name server operator
by a better one? I do not imply that B-root does not work, simply
that, in the real world, people and organizations change and there is
no reason to believe that the same twelve organizations which were, at
a time, the best root name server operators possible, will always be.