[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue May 20 15:45:00 UTC 2008

At 8:21 -0700 5/20/08, David Conrad wrote:

>While I personally wouldn't have called it identity theft, I can understand
>the PoV.

Then it is a "masquerade"...maybe?  A lot less sensational, for one.

OTOH, what if a bar owner rents a place and operates for 25 years.
Then one day he is evicted, finds another place across town and
reopens.  The landlord has every right to put a new bar in the same
place and begin operating it.  Without redecorating, etc., some
patrons might not even realize the switch.  The older operator can't
sue for lost revenue because patrons keep going to the address and
not his "service."

(I'm saying this based on reading the address for L root was Bill"'s"
to begin with.  Maybe I'm misinformed on that.  And for whatever
value of "ownership" Bill has to that address.)

I don't really have a point.  I think that no one has set up "the
rules" that make what happened immoral or illegal though.  And
perhaps we should have "golden addresses" for the bootstrapping
operations so that we don't run into this.

I just flinch whenever terms like "pharming" "phishing" "spam"
"identity theft" are used so freely, maybe just to grab attention.
(My bank was trying to sell me identity theft protection, I
questioned them some more and they finally relented that most
identity theft is still done the old fashioned way - via dumpster
diving.)