[dns-operations] renesys blog: Identity Theft Hits the Root Name Servers

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue May 20 15:02:59 UTC 2008

Or, you permanently lock down a set of provider independent DNS root
service /32s and /128s (reducing the risk of prefix hijack by someone
announcing a more specific) in a DNSOP BCP, allowing folks to
configure filters to ensure announcements for those /32s are blocked
and are coming from the "correct" ASes.  Figuring out how to
(securely) change everyone's caching server configuration remotely
would no longer be an issue.

My personal view is that root service, which is _unique_ because of
the bootstrap problem, should NOT be associated with particular
organizations that provide that service, but rather the address at
which root service can be found.  Renumbering root servers is just too
fraught with peril.

Regards,
-drc