[dns-operations] co-operative cacheing

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu May 8 14:34:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Paul Vixie wrote:

> i think a local broadcast isn't practical for most topologies whose recursive
> nameservers are geographically diverse.

My cluster is all on one LAN. I'd expect geographically diverse recursive
servers to have diverse userbases with less correlation between queries on
usefully short timescales, and coupled with the extra latency across a WAN
I'd expect peer lookaside queries to be less likely to benefit.

> however, doing a short-short-timeout nonrecursive probe of another recursive
> nameserver in parallel with launching an upstream query might work out.  the
> complexity here isn't interoperability or new protocols, but rather, resolver
> internal state.  i'll try this out locally and report back my results.

Wow, cool, thanks!

Tony.
PORTLAND PLYMOUTH: EAST OR SOUTHEAST 5 OR 6, BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR LESS.
SLIGHT OR MODERATE. THUNDERY RAIN, FOG PATCHES LATER. MODERATE OR GOOD,
OCCASIONALLY VERY POOR.