[dns-operations] co-operative cacheing

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Thu May 8 12:25:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 8 May 2008, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2008, James R. Cutler wrote:
> > Third:  Do a statistical analysis of your server query-response performance.
>
> Exactly why I was hoping that someone else had already done this :-)
> There are lots of good numbers in the literature on the effectiveness or
> otherwise of web cache clusters (distributed or not) but I couldn't find
> anything similar about the DNS other than single recursive resolver
> studies.

Study sounds like a good idea. You might find that most of the outgoing
queries are for stuff that either has ultra low TTLs ( major websites etc )
or which is only queried once ( Spambot, RBLs ).

As for a solution I'd tend to lean towards memcached , It's distributed,
fast, popular and supported by the language of most people's choice.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.