[dns-operations] co-operative cacheing

Jason Fesler jfesler at yahoo-inc.com
Wed May 7 23:02:35 UTC 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> there is an ideology out there called "distributed hash tables"
> which i
> know opendns.com uses to solve exactly this problem.  there's no
> standard
> protocol for it, and the F/L/OSS DNS DHT software i've seen is
> research
> quality and is oriented toward authority rather than recursive
> server sets.

This could be as simple as sorting a static list of forwarders list
based on a consistent hash. It is fairly cheap to compute, and doesn't
require setting up new protocols.  If a host goes down, the load it
was taking will fall over evenly to the remaining hosts in that static
list.

That said, unless one had more than handful of resolvers, I doubt the
cache gain is worth it.