[dns-operations] co-operative cacheing

James R. Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Wed May 7 22:09:57 UTC 2008

Continuing on Paul's input:

First:  Consider the labor costs involved with multiple "cookie
cutter" distributed wherever convenient and affordable.

Second:  Consider the labor cost to configure and maintain such a DNS
cluster.  Add the inter-system bandwidth costs.  Don't forget creation
of new test and verification processes.

Third:  Do a statistical analysis of your server query-response
performance.

Last:  Compare the costs determined in the first two elements above,
including the customer-visible difference in performance divided by
the cost difference.

Considering that most user queries tend to bunch around common DNS
targets, you will most likely not find a business case your management
will accept.

Loosely paraphrasing from  The Human Use of Human Beings: Cybernetics
and Society
by Norbert Wiener, "Optimize the man, not the machine."

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com