[dns-operations] "RHN Bind Update Brings Down RHEL Named" (slashdot)

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Jul 18 16:02:29 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 16:44:46 Randy Bush wrote:
> Paul Vixie wrote:
> > I am frankly surprised there has not been more of an uproar about
> > this."
>
> why?  it's linux.

I suspect the other admins realised...

... they shouldn't have installed a package called "caching-nameserver" on
their authoritative name servers.

... they shouldn't have automatically upgraded all their authoritative
nameservers without testing (and/or should of had more than 1 authoritative
name server).

... and quietly copied the file back without drawing attention to themselves,
and blaimed it on:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ballard/bofh/bofhserver.pl

when the boss asked.

Fortunately my boss is too smart for bofh excuses.