[dns-operations] "RHN Bind Update Brings Down RHEL Named" (slashdot)

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Fri Jul 18 15:12:55 UTC 2008

"Red Hat's response to update bind through RHN, patching the DNS hole, made
a fatal error which will revert all name servers to caching only
servers. This meant that anyone running their own DNS service promptly lost
all of their DNS records for which they were acting as primary or secondary
name servers. Expect quite a few services provided by servers running RHEL
to, errr, die until their system administrators can restore their
named.conf. Instead of installing etc/named.conf to etc/named.rpmnew, Red
Hat moved the current etc/named.conf to etc/named.conf.rpmsave and replaced
etc/named.conf with the default caching only configuration. The fix is easy
enough, but this is a schoolboy error which I am surprised Red Hat
made. Unfortunately we were hit and our servers went down overnight while
RHN dropped its bomb and I am frankly surprised there has not been more of
an uproar about this."

http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/07/18/1210257.shtml

believed to be clean.