[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Wed Jan 30 21:15:17 UTC 2008

At 14:34 -0600 1/30/08, Emilio Perea wrote:

>It would be nice to have more details of the "hammering" that took
>place.  I don't doubt that there are lots of buggy resolvers out there,
>but not knowing any details it seems presumptuous to assume that the
>problem MUST be with ResolverX rather than Ultradns.  If it could be
>shown that ResolverX has the same problem with (e.g.) BIND 9, your claim
>that there are resolvers that need hybrid answers (and that they need to
>be catered to) would be much easier to accept.
>
>Right now all you seem to be saying is that without hybrid answers an
>(unnamed) resolver is a PITA for Ultradns.  I'm sure that's true, but
>it's still a bug in Ultradns isn't it?  What am I missing?

The .com and .net (Verisign's ATLAS) servers have the same behavior.
It isn't just Ultra that does this, it's not case of Ultra blaming
someone else.  Try

dig: $ dig auth60.ns.uu.net +norec @a.gtld-servers.net
  and compare with this
dig: $ dig +norec dns1.fqdn.org @tld1.ultradns.net

Both put the glue into the answer section.  ATLAS repeats the record
in the additional.

My historical knowledge of this is based on the operations of the
in-addr.arpa servers, which saw problems ensue when we removed Ultra
servers from our set.  (Not that the Ultra servers were saving the
day, but the removal caused the .com and .net servers to cease
sending hybrid answers for us.)

The problem hit ARPA hard.  All of the ARPA servers are in the NET
domain.  All of the NET servers are in the COM domain.  I call this a
"double side step" in that the iteration process would have to start
two sets of lookups at the root, one for NET and one for COM.
Ordinarily any zone would have some servers in bailiwick and some
servers in just one other TLD.  The double hit on ARPA was the reason
the weakness in the (*old* BIND) software got exposed.

As far as the hammering, I don't have details on that.  That happened
before I was affiliated with Ultra.  As I've said, I do know the
cited brand of buggy resolvers, but I don't see why dragging that
into the list is needed.

The reason why it is still in place in the Ultra servers is because
we (they) had a bad experience when doing the right thing and haven't
been able to verify with the "victims" (okay, those running the buggy
resolver might not be true victims) that it is okay to remove the
hybrids.

What I have been saying about documenting the hybrids isn't to
legitimize them or even encourage them, but to make the situation
known.

Why don't servers running BIND 9 seem to have this problem?  A guess
would be that they don't have any delegations that have the "double
side step" as seen in ARPA.  Or the set of buggy resolvers out there
don't hit the "newer" TLDs.  Until last week, no one seemed to notice
the hybrids for about 2 years (judging from how far back I had to go
to find my old mail on it) so no one has thought about cleaning them
up.