[dns-operations] 86198 queries per second from BIND 9

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Wed Jan 30 07:46:25 UTC 2008

* Robert Willmann:

> That's sad. I actually have Bind 9.4 running on T2000/Sparc/Solaris
> and would like to hear hints about how to tune it a little bit. Our
> Sun-guys are telling me there is nothing to tune any more, but the
> performance is even a bit worse than in the referred pdf.

The PDF doesn't contain T2000 numbers, AFAICS.

You could run BIND under a sampling profiler and report the hotspots.
If it's the hash function, you could replace it with something that
doesn't use integer multiplication (for instance, one of the Jenkins
hashes).  It's pure speculation that the hash function is to blame,
but this would also explain why the Intel CPUs beat AMD in ISC's test.
(Intels have got unusually fast multipliers, and Sun's Niagara
architecture shares multipliers among cores.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99