[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Jan 29 17:14:12 UTC 2008

At 17:59 +0100 1/29/08, Peter Koch wrote:

>This makes me believe that there are other options than considering the glue
>pot part of the cache.

Yeah, the point is that you can interpret what's in 1034 too many
different ways to say one has to be or the other.  Strident claims
can be said that "glue is glue" and that would seem to be wise, but
people actually running the name servers out there had reasons to go
with glue as if it was cache.

My preference, given the choice between an running system and a
compliant system, is to go with the one that runs.  The world wasn't
built to conform to a specification.

>while at the same time we'd all hope said greedy resolver would have gone
>sooner than later.

 From what I've been learning, it's more than one resolver.  What
happened in history is that one implementation got it wrong, a second
implementation was then coerced into bug-for-bug compatibility, and
then another and so on, so that the bug was repli-engineered into
many places.  Eventually, the bug became the law of the land.

It's not the first time nor the last this has happened.