[dns-operations] 86198 queries per second from BIND 9

John Dickinson jad at jadickinson.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 16:34:44 UTC 2008

On 29 Jan 2008, at 03:11, Phillip Groven wrote:

> It would appear that the T2000 is not any faster than a linux box
> according to these stastics
> http://public.oarci.net/files/workshop-2007/Boggs-DNSPERF.pdf
>
> Am I reading these correctly?

I assume you mean t2000 vs. non-t2000 hardware. You can run linux
(ubuntu I think) on a t2000.

You can find my notes on t2000 vs non-t2000 hardware here

http://public.oarci.net/files/workshop-2006/Dickinson-Performance.pdf

It appears that I missed the legend off slide 9. The blue line shows
performance on a 2*2 core AMD (HP blade server). The black line shows
performance on the t2000 (Solaris 10). Both as you increase the number
of threads from 1 to the number of "cores" in the box.

Also shown is nsd performance (slide 11). Strange things happen if you
do or don't specify the IP addresses to listen on in the nsd
configuration. Also nsd doesn't use threads, it forks processes instead.

But - yes - it appears that an non-t2000 box can go as fast (or even
faster) as a t2000. However, I guess that is no big surprise.

John

---
John Dickinson
jad at jadickinson.co.uk